Located in central Colorado, Buena Vista boasts the greatest concentration of 14,000' peaks in North America.
Some things to check out on your next visit:
- Chalk Lake - great fishing spot for kids
- Agnes Vaille Falls
- St. Elmo - Historic Ghost Town, the General Store is still open! Don't forget to feed the chipmunks!
- Mary Murphy and Allie Belle Mines - more than 100 years old, many of the original buildings are still standing.
- Hancock Town site - An old mining town and railroad hub at 11,000 feet!
- The Alpine Tunnel - at 11,523 feet, it once was the highest railroad tunnel in the world!
- Tincup - old mining town that dates back to 1879. Also boasts a historic cemetery.
- Taylor Reservoir
- Mount Antero - 14,269 feet, you can drive up to 13,700 and hike the rest of the way.